BlogSurfer

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

You're Invited

When I went to check the mailbox yesterday I was expecting the usual blend of bills and advertising flyers. Much to my surprise there was an envelope addressed to me that appeared just a bit fancier than the rest and this caught my attention. My birthday has long passed and there are no major holidays around the corner, so I quickly ruled out greeting cards. As I prepared to open this envelope a funny thing happened... I got a little excited! The idea of opening something special (and other than a bill) has become such a unique occurrence that the anticipation of its contents made my eyes twinkle. What was inside? An invitation!

As I walked back to the house with my special piece of mail in hand, it occurred to me that people have become so involved in the digital world that the habit of sending formal invitations has been all but forgotten. Attempting to put my nostalgia in check, I tried to recall the last time an evite in my inbox caught my attention to the same degree as this recent envelope experience. Sadly, I was lacking for evidence. With so many pieces of correspondence coming to us digitally these days, invitations seem to get lost in the mix and lose their luster - in spite of the spiffy graphic options available! Perhaps it is time to reconsider the ways of the past and return to the art of the formal invitation - at least for the gatherings you want people to get really excited about...

The result of this epiphany? A little option investigation, of course!

Option One: For those of us with an craft inclination a quick trip to the local craft store combined with a little creative energy can be the perfect way to send a truly unique invitation. This option ensures that guests receive a one-of-a-kind invitation which is sure to give the gathering that extra special touch. My only warning... beware of the time investment! The handbooks and craft shows make it seem so easy, but there can be a significant time investment for this option. If you love crafting, this should not be a problem as you will get to spend a few hours in your version of heaven. If you are not a craft-aholic this could quickly turn from a "fun idea" to a "crafting nightmare".

Brown & Ivory Vintage Invitations KitOption Two: Pre-purchase printable invitations. There are a variety of stores and sites offering printable invitations and cards in a wide variety of designs. If you need something cute, quick and cost effective this is your best bet. Most come with instructions for printer settings making it relatively easy to add your event information, hit print and send them on their way. My primary hesitation with this option is my inner crafter. Because they are mass produced and so readily available, there is little room for customization which increases the likelihood that someone you know received the same style of invitation for another event and this instantly removes some of the sparkle from your event. An option to consider: Brown & Ivory Vintage Invitations Kit

Option Three: Take the hybrid approach! Combining the ease of digital developments with the ability to customize, there are quite a few on-line sites offering invitation and card templates with the option to add photos and your own words. The upside to this option is that you can quickly and easily create a customized invitation without the need for craft supplies. However, if you are looking for a one-of-a-kind invitation this may not be your best option as anyone else surfing the internet can find and purchase the same basic design. Some sites to consider: Invitation Box and/or 123 Print 

Option Four: Custom invitations made just for you and your event. I will be honest. When I win the lottery, I will send custom invitations and announcements for any and all occasions... I love them. A designer gathers information about your occasion and style wishes to develop custom graphics and verbiage for your gathering. No one else will have the exact same invitation! When people receive these invitations they are immediately aware that this is a unique and special item - not mass produced or store bought. The unfortunate downside... these are not cheap! Because they are custom designed and, most often, handmade the expense for materials and labor can quickly add up. One of my personal favorites... Orange Spot Pink Nose 

No comments:

Post a Comment