BlogSurfer

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Mitzvah Challenge

I enjoy learning about cultural customs and traditions from around the world. What fascinates me most is the meaning behind certain ceremonies and gift items. Recently I was invited to join in the Bat Mitzvah celebration of my friend's daughter and not having grown up in the Jewish faith I was a little perplexed about what to expect - and also what kind of gift to bring! Thankfully the internet offers a variety of resources and I was able to gather some ideas that are both lovely and meaningful for this important right of passage. The one I found most helpful in understanding the history and meaning of the Mitzvah is Modern Tribe.

Although I am not 100% certain what gift item I will bring to the celebration, I thought that I would share some of my favorites in case you face a similar gifting dilema!

The simple beauty of this box caught my eye, but I was not quite sure of its purpose. Here is what Wikipedia taught me: Tzedakah (Hebrew: צדקה‎) is a Hebrew word commonly translated as charity, though it is based on the Hebrew word (צדק, tzedek) meaning righteousness, fairness or justice. In Judaism, tzedakah refers to the religious obligation to perform charity, and philanthropic acts, which Judaism emphasises are important parts of living a spiritual life; Maimonides says that the second highest form of tzedakah is to anonymously give donations to unknown recipients. Unlike philanthropy, which is completely voluntary, tzedakah is seen as a religious obligation, which must be performed regardless of financial standing, and must even be performed by poor people; tzedakah is considered to be one of the three main acts that can annul a less than favorable heavenly decree. Seems like a great idea to me!

Written in Hebrew on the necklace the sentiment translates to: With All Your Heart, With All Your Soul, With All Your Might. This verbiage is an exerpt from the prayer, Shema ("Listen"). Hand etched on oxidized sterling silver, the pendant is suspended from a natural leather cord. More than just a wonderful sentiment, the style of the necklace itself seems very in tune with modern times which definitely increases the liklihood that a young lady will wear it with her favorite outfit!

I was drawn to these necklace options for a couple of reasons. First - there are three designs from which to choose allowing you to select the one that holds the most appropriate meaning for the recipient. The Hasma design opens to reveal a Pomegranate; The Star of David and Chai both open to reveal a Dove. Second- the styling of the locket is pretty hip which makes it an exciting gift for a young lady to receive. Third - the religious meaning of this piece is subtle and to my mind that makes it a little more special - a sort of private thought that can be carried around all day.

For those of you who prefer to give with gift cards - there is an acceptable option for you, as well! You may have to opt for cash or check to gift with this option, but the sentiment behind the increments is what caught my attention. Monetary gifts should be given in increments of 18. Why? The number 18 is associated with the word Chia, Hewbrew for life. In the Hewbrew alphabet each letter has a corresponding number and and the letters cheit(8) and yud(10) = 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment