BlogSurfer

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

About to Pop!

I am in baby shower mode at the moment and stumbled across a party favor that inspired some wishful planning. Since the shower I am co-hosting soon is based on a totally different theme, I figured it would be safe to share my thoughts on this “maybe someday” shower idea. What is this precious item that inspired a whirlwind of party planner thoughts? An adorable party favor box designed to mimic the traditional movie popcorn boxes. Dressed appropriately for a baby shower, the movie reel graphic is replaced by that of a pregnant lady “about to pop” which drives the theme of my thoughts.

Being that I am a movie fan,  it was easy for my brain to pull together a few thoughts on what I could do with this theme… just keep in mind these are the ramblings of a wishful plan and not yet tested as ideas that other people actually like. Of course, I hope that everyone in the world finds them fun with a twist of silly, but you can never please everyone!

Opening Credits… Invitations
There are a number of invitation options from which you can choose. If you have the time and motivation, you can get crazy with the clip art and color printer to create a totally one of a kind option. Much as my inner crafter loves this idea, sometimes you just don’t have the time. Recently I was introduced to a site that bridges the gap between the need to feel creative and the efficiency of having someone else do it for you – a true compromise! In an effort to provide visual aids for my wishful shower, I visited the sight to see what they offer for stock options in a movie design. There were not any under the “baby shower” category, but feel free to bend the rules and use the oh so cute options in the standard event option category. As long as you pay them, I am sure they won’t care!
Snack Bar Options… the Menu
Baby shower food has developed some standard and expected menu items. Being the rule bender that I am, I prefer to shake things up a bit and surprise people. This theme gives me the PERFECT opportunity to indulge this devious streak! Obviously you need popcorn to support the “pop” theme, but no one said it has to be boring. There are quite a few varieties of popcorn flavors and styles (air popped, kettle corn, cheddar, etc.) Don’t stop at the popcorn, though. Think about all of the yummy junk food you indulge in while at the movies – hot dogs, nachos, candy, soda pop…. Are you with me? When I get to host this shower the food station will resemble the snack counter offering all of these indulgences and more. For items like nachos I suggest a build your own option to lend an ounce of accommodation for anyone on a diet. If you really want to go all out, check out options for sodas that can be customized with labels made just for the shower. Display them as a self-serve item in a bucket and let guests pick their favorite flavor. One last thought… ditch the cute paper plates and stick with the theme by using popcorn trays and buckets. Since the trays have a cup holder built in it might even be a little easier for guests to wander with all of their selections. *** (See below for additional ideas...)

Action!... Games and Activities
We have all endured the traditional baby shower games so many times that the competition becomes non existent or cut throat because everyone already knows how to win. Since this theme is a bit irreverent it opens the door to a whole new batch of games. I have not yet completed the list of “the whole batch”, but do have a couple of thoughts.

Option One – Put together a movie quiz game based on popular movies with kid themes. Movies such as Mr. Mom, Baby Boom, Three Men and a Baby, etc spring to my mind. If you are not a fan of quick games, create your own version of Pictionary using these and other movies. Either option ties together the popcorn/movie theme and babies.

Option Two – I had to dig deep in my memory banks for this one… and it might be a stretch for the sake of the “pop” theme. When I was very young I recall a birthday party game where guests were divided into teams for a simple relay. The catch? You had to make your way from one end to the other with an inflated balloon held between your knees. If the balloon “popped” before everyone in your team completed the relay, you had to get a new balloon and start over. Obviously you need to know your guests for this option to be a success. If they were born without a silly gene, it is probably not a good option.

That’s a Wrap!... Party Favors
These adorable little party favor boxes are what started this thought process, but what to put inside them is totally up to you. For my fantasy shower, I thought it would be fun to purchase a variety of retro candy options and display them on a self-serve station in which guests can load up their mini popcorn boxes with their favorites before they depart. If you prefer to pre-load your favor boxes they will still make a festive display and you can recycle the retro candy idea to the menu!

*** If you are working with a budget or just prefer to make your own popcorn, check out these fun recipe options! Popcorn Recipes (added February 24, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment