BlogSurfer

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Let's Play!

A digital newsletter I subscribe to arrived today with loads of fun product suggestions. One in particular caught my attention and after that I was on a nostalgic kick to find some board games that would have kept me from being bored those many years ago when I was a child. I must admit that the skeptic in me thought the big companies had already cornered the market on possible game ideas. Thankfully I was wrong!

For the little ones – Ages 3+

S’match – A similar premise to the memory game I grew up playing, this new version adds a twist with spinner that chooses how you make your match – by color, number or category. 

Dog Dice – A playful spin off of the traditional Bingo game, this version tosses in some dice in place of the caller and requires that you match both of the dice to your card before marking them off with a bone.

Hula Hippos – The title immediately brought back memories of the Hungry Hippo game I loved so much, but had to play in the basement due to the noise level… I digress! Just as interactive, this version challenges players to bounce their hippos inside of a spinning ring. A great lesson in dexterity for the little ones and busy enough that it just might hold their attention!


The Kindergarten Crowd – Ages 5+

Rush Hour - When I checked out this game the first thought I had was Tetris… my adolescent obsession! Challenging similar brain function this game is less digital and more hands on for kids. To begin, the player selects a start card (at various levels of skill). The board is set to match the cars and their layout as shown before the player is challenged to move the vehicles around the board to create an exit from the rush hour traffic for their car. Sure to engage the analytical wonder in your life and, perhaps, prepare them for future driving adventures. A deluxe and ultimate version is also available for ages 8+.

Wig Out – A silly card game designed to challenge fast paced matching skills. Players must match crazy hair styles to get rid of their cards first to win the game. Easy to pack, simple to play… both great qualities in a kid’s game!

Slamwich – This one reminds me of slapjack, but with a playful twist. The cards are shaped like sandwich bread and fixings. It’s fast paced and a little intense as players try to collect all the cards first by building slamwiches before the thief or muncher gets to the cards first!


For the slightly more “mature” kids – Ages  8+

Rory’s Story Cubes – I must admit that these look fun to me… and I swear that I am an adult! Easy to transport, this game consists of 9 dice and your imagination. Each side of the 9 dice shows a picture designed to trigger your creativity as you use them to build a story. Even those who are usually story telling challenged will find themselves spinning tall tales! Whether you play to win or just for fun, this game is sure to produce lots of laughs and memories.

Funny Business – Prepare to flex your brainstorming muscles with this game! Players select two random business cards and then compete to come up with the most appropriate business name. For example, if you had to name a bakery and a barber shop combined, you might call it Bread Heads!

River Crossing – Another one that is reminiscent of Tetris to me… sensing a theme? Players have a hiker character that must safely cross the river filled with alligators and piranha. Using planks and stumps they must map out the best route to complete their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment